Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr

Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr

 Rating: 4/5 Hoots

Release Date: Feb. 22, 2011

GoodReads.com Summary:
The Summer King is missing; the Dark Court is bleeding; and a stranger walks the streets of Huntsdale, his presence signifying the deaths of powerful fey.
Aislinn tends to the Summer Court, searching for her absent king and yearning for Seth. Torn between his new queen and his old love, Keenan works from afar to strengthen his court against the coming war. Donia longs for fiery passion even as she coolly readies the Winter Court for battle. And Seth, sworn brother of the Dark King and heir to the High Queen, is about to make a mistake that could cost his life.
Love, despair, and betrayal ignite the Faery Courts, and in the final conflict, some will win . . . and some will lose everything.
The thrilling conclusion to Melissa Marr's New York Times bestselling Wicked Lovely series will leave readers breathless.

My Review:
Darkest Mercy was an exciting and highly satisfying conclusion to the Wicked Lovely series. Just as she did in her previous books, Melissa Marr creates a beautiful, dangerous world that draws the reader in. The juxtaposition of beauty and cruelty in faerie is fascinating. Marr also explores the fine line between love and hate and sanity and madness.

I loved the strength of the female characters in this book. Aislinn is finally coming into her own as the Summer Queen and Donia, who has always been strong, is now the toughest and most stable of all the regents and always puts her court first above her own desires. Even the story's ruthless antagaonist, Bananach, is awesome in her own, evil way.

I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone, so I won't go into how all of our favorite characters end up. I will say that I was thrilled with the final outcome and loved how all the storylines of the previous books came together. The only character that I wanted to know more about was Ani- after hearing so much about her in Radiant Shadows I was surprised that she didn't appear more in this book.

The only thing that kept me from giving it 5/5 hoots was that I spent the first half trying to remember who everyone was and what their motivations were, and how things stood at the end of the last book. It's my own fault, but I think I would have enjoyed Darkest Mercy more if I had re-read at least some of the earlier books in the series. I would definitely say the whole series is worth reareading and I will probably revisit all of the books later.

I would pair this book with Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston, Glimmerglass by Jenna Black and Lament by Maggie Stiefvater.

No comments:

Post a Comment