Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu

Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu

Rating: 3.5/5 Hoots

Release Date: February 2, 2010

GoodReads.Com Summary:
Everyone has a secret. But Lucy's is bigger and dirtier than most. It's one she's been hiding for years—that her mom's out-of-control hoarding has turned their lives into a world of garbage and shame. Tackling an increasingly discussed topic that is both fascinating and disturbing, C. J. Omololu weaves an hour-by-hour account of Lucy's desperate attempt to save her family. Readers join Lucy on a path from which there is no return, and the impact of hoarding on one teen's life will have them completely hooked. 

My Review:
Dirty Little Secrets was a gripping, intense read! Lucy's life as the daughter of a hoarder was eye-opening- I was aware of people who lived with this disorder but hadn't thought much about how difficult it must be for their families. I felt so bad for Lucy trying to deal with not only the physical constraints of living among mounds of trash and junk but also the emotional mistreatment she receives from her mother. She is such a strong character- even though her brother and sister had left her behind to deal with the situation on her own, she tries to make the best of it. I can't imagine trying to have friends and a crush and knowing that they could never visit your home or know the "real" you. It would be exhausting having to protect a secret like that all the time.

Once Lucy's mother dies, she realizes that she will either have the chance to start a new life with the friends, romance and future she has dreamed of, or her mother's secrets will come to light and change everyone's perceptions of their family. Lucy has to make tough decisions to try to make her bright future possible- I was so nervous to see what would happen that I could not stop reading! I stayed up way too late so I could see what happened. I didn't agree with all the choices she made, but I don't know what I would have done in her situation.

I really enjoyed this book, even though it was disturbing. I liked the fast pace- the story took place over just 2 days, which contributed to the intense, nerve-racking experience! The only reason I didn't give it 5 Hoots was because I didn't feel the solution was realistic for most people- it was satisfying, but seemed really unlikely to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment